Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bigot refused to marry interracial couple: My phone call to him

This has got to stop:

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long....

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long...

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."


Wow, he lets black people use his bathroom...

This justice of the peace refused to marry a couple, one of several he has refused because they were mixed races. Never mind that the Supreme Court struck this practice down back in the 60s with Loving v. Virginia.

Of course, the MSM is not picking this story up either. As a happily married man with a gorgeous black wife, I tend to take this personally.

Several blogs posted where he could be reached, (including a reader here), so I decided to call. Now, I don't believe in calling someone to harrass, calling late, or anything like that. I just felt that someone should educate the poor man and let him know that the amount of pigmentation in the skin is not a good predictor of marriage. It's ridiculous at this day and age people still believe this...but it's disturbing it's from a Justice of the Peace. (Even if it's Louisiana).

His wife answered and I asked to speak to Keith. I could tell that she thought I was someone who knew him and tried to get him but he was unavailable. She asked if she could take a message. I told her to please let her husband know that I have been married to a beautiful black woman for almost two decades and have several well-adjusted, great children. She didn't quite know what to say, her tone changed a bit, and she said allright. I thanked her and hung up.

We were both polite, and she seemed like a nice lady. But her husband is a bigot.

No comments :

Post a Comment